| 5. Everything comes from water, and predicting
eclipses can be fun.
6. Fire makes things happen, and we can't step into the same river
9. Ancient Chinese thinker who said harmony should be cultivated by
12. Greek philosopher who classified animals and taught the golden
13. We are condemned to be free, and hell is other people.
15. Nothing changes. Everything is a well-rounded whole for this presocratic
16. Fear and I were born twins, which makes life brutish, nasty, and
18. Language games and language analysis were this German philosopher's
21. British empiricist who maintained that our minds are blank slates.
23. Deduced the transcendental unity of apperception (before he took
his regular walk).
25. French skeptic who wrote Essays.
27. Let's have mind and body meet at the pineal gland.
30. We shouldn't worry about death or the gods, but should just be
content with natural and necessary satisfactions.
31. Tried to tell us how to make our ideas clear, and Popular Science
magazine was never the same again.
32. Saw problems with the they-self gossiping about being-towards-death.
33. Ancient Athenians paid these foreigners to teach their young people
how to win arguments.
34. Ancient Greek who wrote dialogues to help us see the Forms.
| 1. Received house arrest from the inquisition for espousing
the heliocentric theory.
2. Wrote about the origin of species and vacationed at the Galapagos
3. Presocratic who said everything was made out of atoms.
4. Wrote The Prince in order to teach the art of manipulation.
7. The "Subtle Doctor" who voluntarily differed with Thomas Aquinas.
8. Made his Confessions before he departed for the City of
10. Was enlightened under the Bo tree and then taught everyone how
to get rid of suffering.
11. French process philosopher who had time to write Time and Free
14. Said that esse est percipi, which means that trees don't
fall unless somebody perceives them.
15. Believed that everything is based on numbers and that the heavens
17. Was burned at the stake for his heretical views and purported
belief in magic.
19. Stoic ex-slave who believed that we only have control over our
20. Said that God is dead and inspired the musical score at the beginning
of the movie 2001.
22. Philosopher who had occasions to write Process and Reality.
24. Said that the unexamined life is not worth living and drank hemlock
to prove his point.
26. Tried to answer the Fool's objections to the ontological proof
for the existence of God.
28. English skeptic who awakened Kant from his metaphysical nap or
29. Student of Martin Heidegger who wrote The Human Condition
and many other works, including one on the life of the mind.